Saturday, December 6, 2008

Butter-Balls (and I'm not talking turkey :) )



It seems our weather went straight from fall-like to blistering January temperatures. Burrrr! Today was 20 degrees and blowing snow. A perfect day to stay in and bake! I decided to make myself a cup of hot tea which lead to a craving for something sweet to go with. Having used the last of our eggs, my options were slightly limited. I found these yummy treats on a recipe search through allrecipes.com and made a few changes to our liking.
These are supper easy to make and taste great...like a cinnamony-sugary shortbread cookie!

Butter Balls-II (asterisks note my changes)
From Allrecipes.com

1 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans (*I omitted)
For decorating:
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar (*I omitted)
*2 tablespoon cinnamon
*1/4 cup sugar (a little more)

DIRECTIONS
Beat butter on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, beat until fluffy. Add flour, and beat at low speed until well blended, stir in pecans (I omitted).

*I refrigerate the dough for 2 hours because I find it easier to work with, but the recipe works well without refrigeration.

Shape into one inch balls (I recommend using a cookie scoop or melon baller). Bake at 325 degrees on an ungreased cookie sheet for 20 minutes. Remove and cool. Roll in confectioners’ sugar*

*Here I rolled in a mix of cinnamon and sugar while still warm because I didn’t have an open box of confectioners’ sugar.

They turned out great!





By the way....where do you hang your stockings if your house doesn't have a fire place? I am open to suggestions. :)

2 comments:

Kayla said...

Those look great!
We put ours on the entertainment center.

Unknown said...

Hope you made the pretend fireplace
where I suggested. Love Mom